Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Work-in-Progress Wednesday 16

Happy almost Thanksgiving to the WIPW peeps who live in the US! Have a great time with friends, family and eat TONS of turkey, pumpkin pie and sweet potatoes. YUM! Also, don't forget, a lot of LYS and craft big box stores have Black Friday sales, so don't forget to check all of the ads.

As I mentioned last week, I will be posting a FO Friday for everyone to take part in, but will not have a FO to share. It's been a crazy week, which is why I haven't posted anything since last Friday. It's the last real week of NaNoWriMo and I'm having to write my little fingers off since we will be away for the last four out of six days remaining in the month. Next month I'll probably be posting so much, you'll all be sick of me.

Now onto WIPW 16!


Yes, this is a different knitting project than I shared last week. Last week it was the scarf, but I screwed up and decided to start it over again. In the meantime, I wanted to try something I could make fast and really master the knit and purl stitches. Oh yeah, and getting these beautiful new KnitPicks needles kind of talked me into being used as well. The pattern is a dragonfly washcloth. Depending on how it goes from here, I may keep it or gift it out. How do cotton knitted washcloths/dishcloths hold up in the washer and dryer? I'm using Sugar 'n Cream, which I'm not crazy about for crochet (or any cotton for that matter, which makes this whole WIPW kind of odd since both new projects are cotton), but adore with knitting. I may have to buy a few more skeins on Friday since they're on mega sale to go crazy on making dishcloths and washcloths!



This is a gift for someone (and I'm not going to mention who, because they may read this blog) for Christmas. I wanted a practical gift, and this is one for sure. It's a market bag. Originally I started a different bag, but then decided to do one in the round because it was easier and worked up a lot quicker. I increased a few more rows, so that it would be nice and wide at the bottom for maximum holding. I'm using Bernat Handicraft Cotton that I got on clearance on Labor Day weekend. So nice to have a project for this finally. When I bought it, I couldn't pass it up. It was on clearance for $4.97 and then I got another 20% on top of that. Not bad considering it 710 yrds worth! The colors are fun without being too obnoxious (you should have seen my other choices!), so I thought it would be perfect for this project.


For those that are new to WIPW, to share your WIPW post with us, just fill out the Mr. Linky below. Despite it saying you must comment, don't feel as if you do. That is something Mr. Linky automatically adds. I just ask you to check out a few of the links posted to see what everyone else is working on and comment there if you can. Everyone loves feedback and a little encouragement on their projects! Also, please link back to this post in your post to get the word out! The more the merrier!



18 comments:

  1. Tami, my path back into knitting was paved by cheap cotton yarn that I made into dishcloths. You go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dishcloths and washcloths hold up just fine in the washing machine, it's looking good so far, you have lovely neat and even stitches.

    Have a great Thanksgiving, I wish we were getting pumpkin pie, sweet potatoes and turkey here but alas Thursday is just Thursday in the UK :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tami! Gosh, I tried knitting once, but it just never stuck with me.. I've been crocheting since I was a kid, and it is just my passion!.. Love the colors you're using for your market bag, and can't wait to see it done!.. Wishing you and yours a very Happy Thanksgiving! ~tina

    ReplyDelete
  4. The dishcloth is looking good. Your stitches are really nice and even. I have several dishcloths that I made with peaches and cream cotton and they have held up well through the years, better than store bought ones. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh I'm thinking of doing market bags for some gifts too-- and with cotton! Congrats on your knitting progress. Wash cloths are definitely fun knitting projects because they're quick. They're also a good way to learn new stitches and "lace".

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a few dishcloths for a few years, made from Peaches & Cream and they held up fine. The colors have faded a bit.

    The hand towel pattern I posted on my blog would great for you to practice your knit and purl. The knit 2 tog decreases at the end aren't hard at all.

    I love the colors for your start on the market bag. How is the Bernat cotton yarn?

    I couldn't understand why the person who started NaNoWriMo would pick such a hectic month for the US, to do this. That's assuming they are in the US, and I think I read they are.

    I'm off to browse everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Liz, thank you! It's amazing how something so silly and simple as a washcloth/dishcloth can be so rewarding!

    Northern Monkey, I'm sooo looking forward to the food tomorrow! Luckily I only have to make a few things today, and my mom will make the rest herself! Great to hear that the washcloths hold up nicely!

    Tina, thank you for the Thanksgiving wishes. Same to you (if you celebrate). :) I wasn't 100% sure about knitting until I started this project. The needles made a HUGE difference.

    Autumngeisha, I'm shocked that the stitches are coming out so good. I feel like I don't have as much control with gauge as I do with crochet.

    mutantsupermodel, how funny we both decided on market bags. I love how practical they are, yet still fun. I think after this washcloth, I'm going to make another with a different pattern.

    Kathleen, I bought the yarn having no clue what to use it for because it was a little funky. I didn't expect it to come out the way it is, with a sun-ray pattern as you said, but I like it. Thanks on NaNoWrimo. This is always the point where I ask myself why I bothered this year. I just write crap to finish it the last 10,000 words. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Denise, yes, they are in the US. Actually San Francisco/Bay area. I think originally they did it in November because they had a week off from work and thought it would be great to work on it then. It originally started as a challenge among a group of friends. I don't think they ever dreamed it would be as huge as it is!

    Thank you for mentioning the hand towel! I'll try that one next. I don't know how to increase or decrease with knitting yet, so that would probably be great to try.

    I haven't used 100% cotton before these two projects. Bernat is pretty good. I just don't like the way that cotton feels so dry. I think I like knitting with cotton better than crocheting. After I finish the market bag, I'm going to use the left over Bernat's cotton for more towels so I'll get a better idea since that will be knitting. I'll have a good comparison then I think.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cotton is great for knitting wash cloths and dishcloths. It shrinks a little when you machine-wash and dry it, but then when you use it, it stretches when it's wet. Then it tightens back up as it dries. Very strange, alive stuff, cotton. My all-time favorite wash cloth was knitted from cotton.

    Love the Lion Brand sling-type market bag. It's got such great-looking lines. It takes a lot of yarn and time, but well-worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well I'm trying to add myself to mr linky but apparently it and my phone are not cooperating with each other. We are on the road. Three hours down seven more to go.

    I throw my cotton cloths in the washer on hot and into the dryer with no prob.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had a feeling you were going to frog that scarf. We have a lot in common, you and I! The dishcloth will be really fun, though. Fast gratification! Happy Thanksgiving! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The market bag would make a great gift! I like the colors you chose as well - and the price was right for sure!

    I'm debating about buying yarn on Friday - I'm heading to the States to shop for Christmas presents...yarn would be for me and I do not need (nor have room) for more...BUT I CANNOT pass up good yarn deals! What to do? lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the new badge! Didn't get round to taking a WIPW photo for a post today (was too busy staring out the window looking at snow!) but can't wait to use the badge next week!

    Hope you have a good Thanksgiving :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pentalia, that's great to hear about the washcloths! I plan to make a whole bunch of them! Have you made the LB market bag before?

    Dina, glad to see you were finally able to post your link! Have a safe trip and a great Thanksgiving.

    Paula, you crack me up! I wish you would have told me I was going to frog it! It would have saved me a lot of time and sadness. ;) Happy Thanksgiving to you, too.

    SweetPotato, thanks! You buy the yarn! How can you not!? If you're near a Joanns, they're having big deals on Friday. When you need more yarn, you'll be kicking yourself that you didn't buy it on sale.

    Thanks, elephantJuice! I LOVE SNOW! I wish it snowed where I live, even for a day or two.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, I have made the LB bag... but with plarn. I had to modify it a lot, since the plarn is thicker than the yarn called for in the pattern. The design's got a lot of style, and I've had loads of compliments on it. Here's the link to my project on Ravelry:

    http://www.ravelry.com/projects/pentalia/plarn-sling-bag-prototype

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oo, I love your bag Pentalia! It looks so great. If mine looks half as good, I'll be happy with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Props to you for picking up the knitting needles! I originally wanted to learn to knit, but landed with crochet because there was a class at my local university, so went with crochet! I LOVE to crochet, but maybe one of these days I will give the knitting a whirl! Great job as always! Happy Thanksgiving :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you, kissingtoast. You should try it out! I am shocked at how different they are and how the yarn feels on needles compared to on the hook. Happy Thanksgiving to you, too!

    ReplyDelete